Get Involved Like Vanessa Sanchez

Vanessa+is+seen+here+with+student+writer+Elena+Lara.+The+girls+participate+in+the+Sea+Cadets+through+Lemoore.+
Vanessa is seen here with student writer Elena Lara. The girls participate in the Sea Cadets through Lemoore.

Elena Lara, Student Writer

Many students have hobbies or activities that they are involved with outside of school. One of these students is 8th grader, Vanessa Sanchez.

Vanessa Sanchez participates in a group called the Lemoore Naval Sea Cadets. She is currently 13 years old and has been in the program for almost three years now.

“There are about 8 or 9 others cadets in the program,” she said. “Three of them recently joined.”

Membership begins at the age of 10 years old and Vanessa has been a member ever since she was 10. She said she enjoys the program very much because she has made a lot of new friends and has had many neat experiences that she never really thought she would have at this age.

An example is a summer training Vanessa went on this past summer. The training was one week long on a navy ship called the USS Hornet. Vanessa said she learned the basics of the Navy and its history while aboard the ship. She also learned basic first aid and various skills on how to be part of a team. Vanessa met a lot of people on the ship that she now calls friends. Most of them had never heard of Kerman.

Having a lot of fun is a reason Vanessa stays in the program. She said she has learned so much through the Sea Cadets. Some of the training focuses on marksmanship, marching, and PRT, which are Physical Readiness Tests, such as running the mile, sit-ups, and pushups.

“It helps if you want to go into the military, because you learn some ways of the military,” she said.

Vanessa is actually thinking about going into the military when she gets older. She has a sister who is current serving in the military.

If you would like to know about the program, or become a member, you can go to http://www.seacadets.org and find out how to join.