Halloween 2018 Does Not Disappoint

Genieve Ortiz, Student Writer

This year a scary movie was released right before Halloween. It is the movie “Halloween.” Did you know this movie is a continuation from a movie made way back in 1978?

The very first movie “Halloween” was originally directed and produced on October 25, 1978 by John Carpenter and Debra Hill. The budget for the movie was $325,000 and overall had 95% review on Rotten Tomatoes.

The original film “Halloween” was set on a cold Halloween night in 1963 in Haddonfield, Illinois.  In the movie a 6 year-old boy named Michael Myers murders his 17-year-old sister, Judith. He is then placed in an insane asylum for the rest of his life. But, on October 30, 1978, Michael Myers at 21-years old, is being transferred to another facility. He breaks out and returns to his hometown, Haddonfield, Illinois, to find his next victims.

Michael Myers is looking for Laurie Strode, played by actress Jamie Lee Curtis. In the original movie Laurie is his younger sister and Michael wants to kill her like he killed his older sister. The original movie had 6 consecutive parts that dealt with Laurie Strode being his sister.

But, this new movie takes place after the very first Halloween. It’s as if parts 2-6 never even happened. In the new film Laurie is now 57 years-old and has spent her entire life preparing for Michael’s return. She is an experienced shooter and knows how to fight. She even taught her daughter to fight. But, her life preparing for Michael has caused problems in her family and her only daughter does not want Laurie involved in her granddaughter’s life, because she is unstable and cannot be counted on.

Like all other Halloween movies, Michael is being transferred to a new facility. He escapes and goes back to Haddonfield to find Laurie. This time she is ready for him. If you haven’t seen this movie I encourage you to go see it. Being scared can be fun when you know it’s not real.